Thursday, October 10, 2013

Hello to all my music ministry friends and acquaintances.  First I would like to apologize for my lengthy absence since my last post.  Truly I have been through a season of difficulty, self-examination and change (with the help of the Lord).  I would like to echo Paul as stated in Philippians 3:13-14:  "Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended; but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus." (KJV).

Today I would like to touch on the passion we all share as Christians who have been called to some aspect of music ministry - whether it be vocal, instrumental or the leadership of such ministry.  Ephesians 4:1-3 is my focus for today and it reads:  Verse 1: "I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called, Verse 2: with all lowliness and meekness, with long-suffering, forbearing one another in love."  (KJV).

For the sake of this discussion let us consider our respective music ministries as the spiritual vocation we have been called to in this text.  Ephesians 4:1 in the NIV says, "As a prisoner of the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received."  If Paul had not thought it important for us to walk worthy he would not have appealed to us in this manner.  In verse two Paul proposes we do this by exercising lowliness, meekness, with long-suffering, forbearing one another in love - endeavoring to keep unity and peace.

In other words, by being humble, gentle, patient, understanding and peaceful.  We could fill volumes discussing applications of these precepts as they pertain to our lives and our music ministry callings.  For today though let us turn our focus inward and examine the application of the aforementioned attributes as they pertain to service within the walls of our churches.

Ask yourself these questions:  When I attend a music/vocal rehearsal what is my demeanor?  Do I strive to create a positive, joyful atmosphere? Do I give my team the impression I know it all?  Do I come across as a microphone hog?  Would others feel my instrument/voice is usually louder and overbearing as compared to the others?  Do I end up singing the majority of song solos?  And ultimately if I wasn't a leader in my department would I desire to serve someone just like me?

I will be the first to admit during the past twenty-two years of involvement in church music ministry I have been guilty of such behavior at times.  Thankfully the Lord has taught me maturity over time and allowed me to minister in a variety of denominal settings and culturally diverse venues.

Ask yourself: Prior to ministering in church services do I spend time in prayer and spiritual meditation?  Is my mind focused and determined to enter into the presence of a holy God by offering my sacrifice of praise and worship?  For that matter, what is my motive behind taking a place behind an instrument/mic?  Do I give less effort if I am ministering before a congregation of ten people or ten thousand?  And ultimately am I living a life worthy of this musical calling He has placed in my heart?

Once we have examined ourselves let us humbly bring these questions of personal introspection to our church's music departments.  Encourage each member of your music department to examine themselves and to be accountable to Jesus.  Finally, allow Jesus to continue being the center of our music ministries.  As the Colorado Mass Choir titled an album, "God Gets the Glory".

No comments:

Post a Comment